Thursday, September 27, 2007

Hot Boxin'

They are just sinking with the melody of the kiss of eternity...

Wait...I don't get it either.

So last night I had a super fun experience. Back up, let me preface this with some background information. I love music. Not only do I love it, I live for it, listen to it at all times, in all things, and in all places. I can spends hours just laying on my bed, or chilling at the computer listening to music. My little sister is a music guru, knows all the newest, hottest, most underground bands. So me being the cool older sister that I am, have been given the privy to the musical updates my sister offers. Since I love music, I absolutely love concerts. Not the sitting in your chair listening kind of concert. We are talking floor 'seats' (which aren't really seats, you are totally standing the whole time) head banging and jumping and going wild!

This being said, I regret to inform all of you that I shall be retiring from the 'floor seats concert goer" industry.

I know you all are asking "Why McKenna? Why give something that amazing up?"

Answer: I am too old and I am going deaf. (No really, I AM going deaf)

Back to my experience. I was invited to a concert at Thanksgiving Point. Band name : Arcade Fire. Opener : LCD Sound System. (or as I like to call them, the Repeaters) I had never heard of these bands before, and since I am an avid music concert goer, I didn't pass up the invite. So we get there, we are three people from the rail. (this means we were really close) and we are ready to let the music make us wild! Um, no. This first band, I mean, wow, can't explain them. They had too much cowbell, how's that? Cowbell mixed with techno mixed with a disco ball. Oh, don't forget to add the lyrics. They consisted of one line repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Here are some examples of their catchy lyrics. "Yeah." (My favorite song, and yes, it consisted almost entirely of the word "yeah") "They are coming." (Wait, who is?) and another personal favorite, "I love you New York, but you are bringing me down." Most of the time I think that these "artists" really just need therapist.

Moving onto the main event. I mean, it's kind of hard when you have never heard a band besides in concert. It's just hard to judge them that way. All I can say is that there was a physco chick singer who kind of creeped me out. She was dancing like she was, well, high. They had a seriously creepy emo tune called "Neon Bible." It seemed to be the basis of their set, which of course would make sense since the title of their c.d. is indeed "Neon Bible."

Oh we are just getting started.

Along with concerts, you get the normal groupies, roadies, trailer trash, and the occasional delusional. (most of which are in hike school.) Maybe it has just been a long time since I have been to a concert. (Although I did go see The Fray in January, but we had seats and it was super chill) These people were insane. Crazed, hot boxing, tight pants, long hair, I wear mascara as a guy because I am emo...people. Some guys started a mosh pit, and no joke, some 45 year old chick starts a fight with one of them yelling, "Don't you *%!# do that here you little #$*@." (insert your own expletives) Seriously she was wacked, as were the rest of the burnt out kids there. It made me really happy that I am 1.) Not in high school anymore and 2.)Glad I gave up hot boxing.

Wait, just kidding....I think...

My ears are ringing and I can't stand up straight. Although the headlining band has potential to be good, I just don't have it in me to listen to anything right now. I might have flashbacks.

All-in-all, I am kind of sad that I am retiring, but this is for the best. Although there is one artist who could bring me out of retirement.

Kelly Clarkson

3 comments:

Geoff & Cali said...

Kenna that's hilarious. Does this mean you are growing up.... nooooo!!!!! I don't even know what Hot Boxing is, to be honest... maybe you can clue me in...

Alison said...

Kenna, I love it!! I am so glad I got to experience it all with you... Those pictures look great, by the way... :)!!

Josh & Kenna said...

I am glad you came, and I am also glad you didnt' faint. It really was fun though...even if my ears are still ringing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails