Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Ah, Snap!

Let's be honest here folks, God has quite the sense of humor.

Case and Point: I have a tumor in my brain.

It's called a pituitary adenoma, benign cancer cells and mine just happens to be more than half the size of my pituitary. This tumor, which I have so lovingly named 'Tubby,' is 6 by 7 by 7 millimeters as of right now. This makes it about a half centimeter in diameter. That doesn't seem big, but if you consider the small space it is in, then clearly we have a problem. It is squishing my pituitary gland as well as putting pressure on my optic nerves. This picture may gross some of you out, but it'll give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I went and got a MRI yesterday morning, and let's be honest, those aren't fun. They creep me out. It's a tight fit, and they are so loud. I got one on my knee a couple years back, but it wasn't this bad. Going in head first into a loud, small space isn't how I wanted to spend my morning. I was given earplugs, so that was nice. Then, unbeknown to me, I get shot up with some purple dye so they can take more pictures. Eww. The neat thing about this whole experience is that they sent me home with my films! I will have to find a way to take some decent pictures of them so you can meet Tubby.

I will be off to see a neurosurgeon hopefully next week. (I know, the big leagues right?) The surgery, as far as I know, is non-invasive. They will go in through my nose. Yup, we are talking mummy style. I'm sure it'll be more sterile than a coat hanger, but you get the idea.

There will be more to come...

7 comments:

taylor and laney said...

Can we have tubby to hand on our tree? I think he will make the perfect completion to our christmas arrangment. And yeah, I agree that I hope it is more sterile than a coat hanger. Hopefully we've progree further than that since those crazy egyptians didn't know what to do the brain.

taylor and laney said...

we realized that we were putting up the tree a tad bit early but we only have so much free time and last night was our window of opportunity. plus it helps me be more thankful for thanksgiving. i am thankful for christmas trees. please talk to us again. please. we really like you guys.

Kent and Leisy said...

such a great post emk. I'm kind of excited for you! is that sick and wrong? wow, you have a brain tumor. you are in the big leagues now!

Dshaw said...

Do you get headaches because of it? How did you find out? I am very curious..

Josh & Kenna said...

I will discuss those topics in my next post for sure, D.

Erin said...

You've just won the 2007 blogger of the year award for top notch, well-written, photo documented life experiences! I'll bring your prize over later. But next year, I expect you to give someone else a chance, ok? (Joking aside, we'll still be praying for you and know that we love you!)

James and Amanda said...

I am always excited to read your blog. I like check it daily, j/k. Thanks for the photo it is cool to look and see tubby. Well let us know how things go so we can bring you meals ;) Cafe Rio!!!
And You posting what your thankful for has motivated me to do the same. Your Great McKenna!

Related Posts with Thumbnails