Sunday, November 4, 2007

What I Think About...

...Daylight Savings...


Now this post could be short and sweet by me simply stating that I think Daylight Savings blows. Then again, what would be the fun in that?

I have consulted my good friend 'Professor Google' (You may remember him from such posts as "And The Winner Is..." where he was known as 'Dr. Google') and here is what I have learned about Daylight Savings.

It was the brain child of Benjamin Franklin, who we have learned from The Office is a jerk, and its purpose is to 'make better us of the daylight.' I think this is a ridiculous idea. Why in the world do I want the sun shining in my face at 6 am? I would rather have it dark in the morning and keep the light throughout the day. It drives me crazy when I leave from work and it's dark outside. I also read, 'There is evidence that the severity of auto accidents increases and work productivity decreases as people adjust to the time change.' I think this is true to the max. Just yesterday Josh and I were ready for bed by six! When it gets dark my body shuts down and I get lazy.

Another problem for me is the fact that I have a very sensitive circadian rhythm. Even the hour change severely messes with my sleep schedule. By the time I have adapted myself to the change, we switch back! Although I don't mind the time change in the Spring so much since that means I'll see the sun for more than 7 hours a day.

Because of the winter time change I need to get a tanning pass so I don't come down with a bad case of 'SAD.' (seasonal affective disorder) I am tempted to go buy one of those 'therapy lamps' from Costco along with my tanning pass.

I don't know what we all can't follow Arizona. They don't conform to the 'time change.' Good for them!

Oh, and do you all wonder why the time change came later this year? Well here is the answer:

Through 2006, Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. ended a few days before Halloween (October 31). A new law to extend DST to the first Sunday in November will take effect in 2007, with the purpose of providing trick-or-treaters more light and therefore more safety from traffic accidents. Children’s pedestrian deaths are four times higher on Halloween than on any other night of the year. For decades, candy manufacturers lobbied for a Daylight Saving Time extension to Halloween, as many of the young trick-or-treaters gathering candy are not allowed out after dark, and thus an added hour of light means a big holiday treat for the candy industry.

Well of course we must accommodate Halloween! What about me?!

I'm moving to Arizona.

3 comments:

Geoff & Cali said...

As for SAD, I have already begun tanning for the winter. A therapy lamp might be a good thing too...

Also, Ben Franklin, although brilliant, was also somewhat of a womanizer, -- did you know he actually died of a sexually transmitted disease?

I didn't know that about Arizona. I'll move there with you.

Karen and Dave: said...

No, don't move to Arizona! Sure, they've got the Daylight Savings thing right, but as for everything else...let's just say you can fry eggs on your car in the summer. take it from me, I've lived there. And in the winter, you'll never have another white Christmas (unless you're looking at Flagstaff) :)

Kristen said...

You are so right about this it's scary.

Related Posts with Thumbnails