Thursday, November 27, 2008

{...gobble...}

I oft times hear that Thanksgiving is essentially a 'mindless' holiday. All we do is eat and watch football and nap and then eat more, right? Perhaps those who think this way are truly missing the point. While I admit I'm not the best a focusing on all the many things I ought to be thankful for, and I also think we should do it every day instead of just today, there is something about gathering with family and letting your heart swell with gratitude for all things big and small you have been blessed with.

Oh, and I have been blessed.

As much pain as I feel at this moment my heart is also overflowing with gratitude.

I am thankful for the Higher Power that pulls me out of bed every morning, throws me into the shower, and buoys me up 24 hours a day. The religion that reminds me, in my deepest, darkest moments of doubt and fear, that there is so much more. That I will see her again. That happiness can be achieved. That hope is within my grasp. That miracles still exist.

Josh. I have said it before, and I'll say it for eternity, that I am this mans greatest trial. Yet every day he handles life with poise and faith. He is strong, hopeful, witty, and caring. He is my husband and my best friend. I love him more than I'll ever be able to express.

I have been blessed with an extraordinary family. As I sat at the table with them today, I was overwhelmed by the love I have for them. My parents support and love me, as well as Josh. My Mom sticks up for me and wipes away my tears. My Dad calms me and whispers words of encouragement. My siblings bring smiles to my face and remind me not to take life too seriously. My aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins surround me in a net of support and love. To all of you I extend my most sincere love and thanks.

More than ever I have realized the importance of good friends. Heavenly Father has taken care of me through the hands of those whom I call my friends. Not only those who I see and interact with on a daily basis, but those of you who have been brave enough to reach out to me. Who have shared your stories and opened your hearts. Your words and love have spanned miles. I have an inbox full of amazing emails from amazing women. The evidence of your impact is everywhere. You keep me from falling apart at work. You go on 'Drink runs' with me even though you don't need one. You offer sincere words of love and hope. You call me out when I'm being impossible. You cradle me when I can't go on. You all are such beautiful people, and I am better off in life having known you.

Modern medicine has saved my life. Skilled doctors and nurses are helping heal my broken body. They have never given up on me or my insane resume of diseases an disorders. I am thankful to be alive.

While this list could go on and on per infinity, these are the things that have been at the forefront of my mind. Truly I don't deserve what I have been given, but I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who is so willing and eager to bless my life and the lives of those around me.

12 comments:

lauren said...

and i'm thankful for you. hope today is a better day. :)

TOGETHER FOREVER said...

Kenna oh mylanta girlfriend that post made me feel like a better person just by reading it!! I'm so glad you let me call you friend and I lub ya more than words can say. I don't know if I would have ever gotten to know you very well had Heavenly Father not told me to get off my rump and give you that book. I think about it often and am so grateful for revelation and friends I don't deserve. You have blessed my life forever and hope even though future miles may separate us that we will still remain close friends. It's easy to be there for people on their "good days" but it takes a true divine person to stick with ya through the thick crap of life. Life is just so much more beautiful and fulfilling when you have REAL true friends by your side. I'm here for you day or night. You're gonna make it girl don't you sweat it!!! Hope you had a good turkey day!

Trent and Janel Lyman said...

You made me cry! We love you and hope that you and Josh will be forever part of our "family." I'm thankful that I've been able to get to know you over these last few months, you truly are such an amazing person and I look up to you in so many ways. I truly do know that your Father in Heaven loves you so much and has so much trust in you and your ability to overcome, why else you He give you the trials that he has. Things suck right now, and that's okay. One day, maybe...it will be better and you will be a more amazing person when it's all through. You have the ability to reach out to people like no one I've ever met. Love you! Let's go kick some butt bowling one of these days.

The De Souzas said...

If I wanted to cry I would have relived BYU's tragic loss last week!

You are a beautiful person, and you are changing people's lives. Just look around you at the people who count themselves lucky for being your friend, not to mention the people who have stumbled across your blog and were able to find something that helped them.

We are all THANKFUL FOR YOU!

The Wendler Family said...

What a great post McKenna. Really. I am amazed by your ability to list what you're thankful for when we all know what you are going through. I am so happy to know you! Thanks for having this blog for me and others to read. You are a wonderful person!

justine said...

Beautifully shared, thank you

Lisa said...

You always have a way of writing things so that they reach into the hearts of your readers! It is so great! I also have a lot to be thankful for this year. And one of my many blessings is having family members like you, who have taught me so many of life's lessons, without even realizing it. You are so special Mckenna!:D

Charlie and Erica said...

Great post. Your twitter comment about the old couples made me left. My favorite part of the Def Leppard and Journey concerts were the old groupies. Somethings are better left in your closet...

Necia and Joe Shumway said...

ya hmmm... maybe did you read the whole blog or are you just determines to hate me for this? Pretty sure I definitely count it as a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Necia,
So you think Kenna hates you for successfully having sex and getting knocked up? Um, no. I can tell you why I don’t like you. It’s your less than compassionate attitude towards her, your incessant whining about "everyone one is pregnant except me", and my favorite; that you communicate like a 17 year old.
Kenna is one of the most amazing women I know. Instead of acting like a spoiled selfish little bitch you should have been getting to know her and loving her and learning from her. It’s sad you will never be half the person, or mother she is. I truly hope you never have to experience the pain of losing a child or the heartache of infertility. It isn’t anything I would wish on my worst enemy and I certainly don’t wish it upon you. From what I know you aren’t strong enough to handle it. So perhaps you are one of the weak minded people that will get to float through life effortlessly without being able to really, truly appreciating blessings because you have never really been tried.

And really – women get pregnant all the time. Don’t think you’re that special. It’s the women that have to make the extra effort to start a family that are amazing. Get. Over. Yourself.

Kenna, I love you - this post was beautiful! You rock kiddo!

~Jen

Kristin said...

Great post. P.S. What's wrong with watching football and eating all day?? That's one of the things I'm really thankful for :).

Jen Nelson said...

Aww, how perfect! I love Thanksgiving! and I love you! I am thankful to have you as my friend!

Loves!

Related Posts with Thumbnails