Wednesday, May 19, 2010

...high tide...

In my own worst seasons
I’ve come back
From the colorless world of despair
By forcing myself to look hard,
For a long time, At a single glorious thing

A flame of red geranium
Outside my bedroom window
And then another:
My daughter in a yellow dress
And another:
The perfect outline of a full
Dark sphere behind the crescent moon

Until I learned to be in love with life again
Like a stroke victim
Retraining new parts of the brain
To grasp lost skills,
I have taught myself joy,
Over and over again…
  

                  -Barbara Kingsolver



picture by my bad self.

what is one of your glorious things?


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I love that! Seriously, one of my new favorites!

I would say my glorious thing changes all the time, but today, it is a dessert I never made before that turned out great! I created something once, I can do it again.

Thank you!

Proud Mama said...

My glorious thing today is me-tenna who has had THE WORST 3 1/2 years EVER and is teaching me how to handle life graciously. I am grateful beyond words for her example:) (Maybe Studly will get his wish and I will stop "being a bad influence" on you)

Alli said...

I have to agree with your proud mama.

Wahines in Bikinis said...

I Love Barbara Kingsolver!

Mine? A good book, not one that just fills the time, but one that makes you stop, think, and wonder.

I also could look at the ocean break for days and days while soaking up the sun...

Maybe you should skip town for a California getaway.
I'll come. I'll be good. Promise

Katie said...

How beautiful and thought provoking.

The smell of spring. Laughter. Tulips. The sound of the ocean :-)

Lyss said...

"Days keep coming and I keep stumbling. I start feeling the walls close in. Days keep coming and I keep wondering. I start feeling I'm strong enough to break...We just play like broken records in a deaf man's charade..."

Today, poetry makes me feel glorious. :) I hope this little bite of Hanson lovin' made you smile. :)

Kristin said...

unconditional love from my husband

Trent and Janel Lyman said...

that picture is amazing...really! you got to teach me your tricks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails